1.12.2012

Beat The Winter Blues - Guest Post Chicken Scratch

Please welcome my next guest for Beat the Winter Blues... another fun craft to bring smiles on cold winter days!
*   *   *   *   *
Hello! My name is Alecia. I blog over at Chicken Scratch NY
My blog is pretty much all over the place, just like me. I do a lot of crafty projects, most of which are semi-tutorials. I'm a go-where-the-wind-takes-me crafter so tediously specific isn't my thing. When I'm not crafting I'm playing with my puppy, chasing my cows out of the garden or collecting eggs. I also share pictures and stories of the 'simpler life' including animal antics and tips for simple, sustainable living.

Dorthy thinks you should check it out.
On to the fun:


This project is a bit out of my realm. My little sister is having a baby sometime between this month and February. I needed a quick (because I procrastinate with the best of them) and cheap gift that she wouldn't get from anyone else.

I'm no where near the first person to cover canvas with pretty fabric and hang it on the wall but I did add a little twist. I use fabric (don't bother washing it but do iron it really well), spray glue, scissors and a canvas.


Cut your fabric at least 1.5 inches larger on all sides. If you want to feature a specific part make sure it's near the center. I tried to center the blue onsie (without cutting off the ducks head) on this canvas.


Spray the fabric with the spray glue then flip it over and smooth out the fabric with your hands. Then flip it back over and tightly smooth in two opposing sides pressing the fabric down on the back side. There are a few ways to finish up the wrapping, I'd recommend trying whatever method you use to wrap gifts. You might need a few more sprays of glue. repeat with the second canvas and you've finished 2 out of 3!


Paint the 3rd canvas to accent the fabric.


While it's drying pick a motif from the fabric that you like. Iron either paper-backed fusible webbing or freezer paper to the back. Then cut it out as close as you can get.


I use my Slice cutter to cut a 4 inch tall 'B' from the Applique Basics card. (The baby's name is Bentley). Make sure the paint is really dry for the next step!


 I put the item to be glued (in this case the duckie) inside a plastic bag, spray it and them pull it out. Spray glue gets all over the place if you aren't careful!


Glue on the letter and the duckie and you're done!

These are super light weight, I have a set in my hallway that I hung with push pins.


I haven't tried it but in theory the fabric should peel right off if you get sick of it.

Cheap, easy and versatile? Oh yes. You can have it all!


Thanks for checking out my post and a special thanks to Emily for letting me take over for the day!
If you like what you see please check out my blog Chicken Scratch NY.
If you decide to follow leave a comment and I always follow back!

Peace be with you,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...