7.14.2011

Summer Lovin' - Kim from Too Much Time on My Hands

Next up in my Summer Lovin' series is Kim, from Too Much Time on My Hands... what I wouldn't give for extra time!

  Hey Folks! I am so happy to be over here guest posting for Emily!

I'm Kim 





That's my blog where I share my crafts, upcycling projects, decorating, and debacles. Today I am sharing a fun  sign I made for my Aunt as a thank you for letting my family crash at her beach house for a long weekend.


I started with a solid wood sign I found at my fave thrift store for $1.89. It said "Home is Where the Heart is" and had lots of flowers and country stuff all over it. Just not my thing, but a great piece of wood and a nice shape to start my transformation.


I sanded, primed, and painted it with two coats of a creamy white.

Then I added 2 coats of a lovely beachy blue.



A-Ha, my favorite part, the sander. I went after it and roughed that thing up good!



Since I was going for a weathered look, I decided to use Citra-Solv to transfer the saying onto the sign. I did some experimenting and have more info on Citra-Solv transfers  here.

I used Open Office to create the saying I wanted for the sign (cottage by the sea) and then printed out the reverse image and had my husband copy it for me at work (SHH, don't tell).  An ink jet printer copy will not transfer, so definitely use a copier or laser printer and don't forget to reverse the image!



Next, I just taped the copy upside down and applied the Citra-Solv concentrate in a thick layer. Depending on your surface, too much will bleed, and not enough will not transfer, so you need to be careful. It really depends on the finish on the wood you are transferring to. The rougher the finish the easier time I have had. A shiny finish will bleed more and the ink will rub off.



Then I used my brush to rub and burnish the ink onto my sign. I lift and check as I go to make sure everything is coming off clearly.



Yeah, that's what I'm talking about people!

Next, I grabbed my faux glaze and tinted it with a medium walnut wood stain. I painted it on and rubbed it off in certain places. I just had fun finding the worn out look I was going for.

I added these simple hooks to each end.



Then I grabbed floral wire and attached it to small Ball jars like so...



Then I threw in some sand I stole from the kids sandbox and votives from my stash.

And hung it on my wall to shoot!



I almost wish I could keep it....



it look so nice right here...



but I don't have  a beach house...




or live remotely close to a beach....



so maybe a mountain sign would be more fitting for our home in Denver!



Hope you all enjoyed this project and you should pop over to Too Much Time to visit and check out some of my other favorites!


Upcycled Pallet Chalkboard Shelf  
(which I am giving away to a lucky follower!)




Vintage Airplane Bedroom




Little Birdie Sign


Check you all later and thanks so  much for having me, Emily!



I'm lovin' it Kim!  We spent last week at my family's beach house on Lake Erie, I might need to make something like this for my mom.  I think this would be fun to use some great drift wood off our beach... I'll have to remember to pick up some next time I'm there (which is never often enough or long enough!)

Peace be with you,

2 comments:

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

love the sign,, gonna be looking for some of that stuff to transfer with.. looks easy.

Jedbel @ The Pear Tree Cottage said...

What a great tutorial! I love the sign and am now inspired to try something similar :). Hope you have a great time on your vacation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...