Summer is definitely heating up so I thought it was the perfect time to challenge myself. Try something new. Check off another project from the every-growing list of tutorials I want to try. I came across a few swimsuit tutorials like this one from No Big Dill for toddlers or this WOMAN'S Swimsuit Tutorial from Sew, Mama Sew that I could not wait to try.
This got me thinking and got me sewing!
Here's my own version of a toddler swimsuit tutorial.
elastic (I used 3/8 inch elastic)
swimsuit that fits to trace for sizing
1. Gather materials.
2. Fold over material right sides together. Place swimsuit on top and pin all around.
3. Cut all around the swimsuit edges adding seam allowance (5/8 inches). Add an inch seam allowance along the top for hemming.
4. Just an example of what the top seam allowance should be.
5. Cut off the top of one of the pieces going from underarm edge (the angle) to the other underarm edge.. This will be the back of the swimsuit.
6. Fold your front swimsuit piece in half. Trim off a curve along the leg opening. This will raise the leg opening in the front of the swimsuit.
7. You will use a stretch stitch or zig-zag stitch when you sew. I used a stretch stitch #3 on my machine.
8. Fold over the top hem of your back swimsuit piece 1/2 an inch. This will be for the elastic casing.
Pin and sew.
9. Insert elastic through this casing. Sew both ends to hold the elastic in place.
10. Place your swimsuit pieces right sides together. Pin along the crotch area and both sides (not the leg opening).
11. Sew both pinned sides and the crotch of the swimsuit. Turn inside out.Hem the sides and top of the swimsuit by folding over 1/2 inch and sewing.
12. Now we will bind the legs. Cut 2 strips 2 inches wide and as long as each leg opening. Mine were each 12 inches long.
13. Fold each binding piece right sides together, pin and sew the short ends.
14. Turn right side out and fold in half widthwise. Now each piece is 1 inch wide and makes a circle.
15. Pin each piece of binding along the leg opening with raw edges touching.
16. Fold the leg binding down so the right sides are facing up.
17. Cut a piece for your strap. I cut it 6 inches wide x 13 inches long.
18. Fold the strap in half widthwise, pin the long ends and sew along the pinned side.
19. Turn strap rightside out, pin on either side of the swimsuit and sew.
20. Try it on and GO SWIMMING!
Embellish it as you wish! I added a bow to jazz it up.
My niece LOVES it!
Last picture! It's time to swim!
Hope you're enjoying your summer. Happy Sewing!Peace be with you,