12.05.2011

Creating Christmas - Mitten Pillow

 Creating Christmas at The Girl Creative
Welcome to Day 3 of Creating Christmas with The Girl Creative.  Check out Day 1 and Day 2 if you missed them.

The point of Creating Christmas is to not just pin something, create something.  Like the rest of you, I've been pinning tons of things that give me inspiration and have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to all the awesome Christmas ideas that have inspired me.






One particular idea that I decided needed to be created is the mitten pillow in the back of this picture:
 
The $69 price tag is a little steep for me and since mittens can go for the whole winter season, I'd rather go with my color scheme and my winter pillows that I made last year from thrift store sweaters
Originally I planned on going through my fabric scraps, but a fever left the little man in my lap yesterday and while I've sewed with him in my lap before, he just wasn't up for that... crocheting it is then!  Don't worry, I used yarn scraps.  Now, bear with me, I have never really written a crochet pattern before.  I made the first one up as I went along, wrote it down, and then tried to follow it.  Please feel free to ask any questions.

Crochet Mini Mittens:
With worsted weight yarn and an H hook, chain 12.
sc = single crochet, HDC = half double crochet, DC = double crochet
Row 1: in 2nd ch from end, DC, counts as 1st stitch.  DC to end, 11 stitches, turn
Row 2 of the thumb: ch 2, DC in next 2 DC, turn
Row 3: HDC, DC, HDC, turn
Row 4: Repeat row 3, turn
Row 5: 3 HDC, turn
Row 6: SC to the end and down around the inside of the thumb back down to Row 1 and slip stitch to connect, turn
Rows 2-5 of hand:  ch 2, DC to end, 8 stitches, turn

Row 6-7:  sc, HDC, 4 DC, HDC, sc, turn
Row 8: sc, 5 HDC, sc to end and down the hand back to the base (no real count, some DCs I did 2 stitches, some only 1, just watch that it lays flat).
Row 9-10: ch 2, DC to end, about 10 stitches, make sure it lays flat, this is the palm portion of the mitten.
Optional: add a row of fringe or an alternate color.
I love the burlap of the pinned version, but muslin was available.  Since I'm constantly stash busting and trying to use what I have and not buy something new, muslin it is!  Plus, it's softer anyways.  I'm thrilled with the result, yes, it needs a bit more stuffing, just have to find where I put it.
Plus, it looks great with my other pillows:
Now it's time to go back to Pinterest and see what else I pinned that needs to be created this week!

If you like what you see,
I’d love for you to follow me!
Peace be with you,
 
I'll be linking up to some of these parties, stop by and check out the talent!
M: Made by you Mondays, Made with Love Monday, Making the World Cuter, MMM @ CRAFT, Just something I whipped up, Organizing Mission Monday, Creative Me Monday, A Round Tuit, Motivate me Monday, Jam Hands, Must Try Monday T: Sew Cute Tuesday, Handmade Tuesdays, Tip Me Tuesday, TCB, Topsy Turvy Tuesdays, Take-a-Look Tuesdays, Too Cute Tuesdays, Giggles Glitz & Glam W: We Did it Wednesday, Night Owl Crafting, Sugar & Spice, Tea Rose Home, We’re Organized Wednesday, What I Wore Wednesday, What’s Up Wednesday, Wow Me Wednesday, Share the Wealth, Real Momma Real Style, Your Whims Wednseday, Whatever Goes T: Make It Wear It, Frogs & Snails, It’s Stinkin’ Cute, Making it with Allie, Things I’ve Done, Everybody’s Creative Endeavor F: Fun Friday Finds, Fingerprints on the Fridge, It’s a Hodgepodge, Chic on a Shoestring, Fantastic Friday, TGIF, I’m an Organizing Junkie, Spunky Junky, The Shabby Nest, While He Was Napping, Upcycled Awesome S/S: Get Schooled Saturday, KISS, Funky Fresh, Weekend Wrap Up, Nifty Thrifty, Creative Bloggers, Six Sisters

17 comments:

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

Amazing and adorable. I'd love to learn to crochet, but there are only so many hours in a day. Maybe in the future..

Unknown said...

This is so cute! Those little mittens are adorable! Have you linked up with Creative Me Monday? It's open all week long and I'd love to have you join us! You can link up as many projects as you'd like! The link is:

http://www.thesoutherninstitute.com/2011/12/creative-me-monday.html?utm_source=BP_recent

Hope to see you there!

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

Beautiful. Love the fringe you added to the cuff.

Jamie
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/
P.S. I have a giveaway going on. Would love it if you came over and entered.

Chelsea B. said...

very cute!

Crafty Mischief said...

Your pillow is adorable! I found you through Someday Crafts. Thanks for sharing!

Mandy said...

Emily, I followed you over from Girl Creative. Your mitten pillow is ADORABLE!!! I'm saving the pattern and will give it a try when life settles down in my house.

I would LOVE for you to share this with my readers at a party that I have going on at Project Queen. Here is the link if you would like to join in the fun.

http://projectqueen.org/welcome-to-link-party-12-turning-the-daunting-into-the-do-able

I'm your newest follower. Hope you little one is feeling better.

b said...

This is great! I might need to make one too! I also sent your link to my mother who is always looking for new things to add to her handknit sweaters as decorative details. Your mitten pattern will work perfectly!

Cathy @My 1929 Charmer said...

Seriously this is so cute. I don't know crochet, but I could see myself making these out of material. I stopped over from Homemaker on a Dime. I just became you 200 follower. Would you please share this over at Sunday's Best going on now. Sharing is a good thing.

Jill said...

Oh my goodness Emily - this pillow is so cute! those mittens are adorable - and the fluffy trims on each are fabulous!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Mandy said...

Hi Emily, I'll be posting your mitten pillow as one of the highlights tonight at Project Queen's #12 Link Party Highlights.

Thanks so much for linking this adorable pillow up! I LOVE IT!!!

Lori said...

I love this pillow, and the sweater pillows too...I pinned em' both! I'm a new follower too. Stop by and visit and if you get there in the next 2 hours, enter to win my Heirloom ornament. Drawing is at 12 noon PST. Warm wishes

Ruby Jean said...

Your pillows are adorable and so festive... Thanks for stopping in and linking up at shoprubyjean.com/2011/12/sew-crafty-tuesday-linky-party1/

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Yay you for moving beyond the Pinning stage. I love this pillow idea and although I don't know how to knit, I am sure I could come up with enough "orphan" mittens in our mitten box to create one too. :0 Thanks so much for the idea and for sharing it on Motivated Monday at BeColorful.
pam

cathy@my1929charmer said...

I still love this pillow and will probably make it out of fabric. Congrats on your feature over at Project Queen. You must be so happy.Thanks for joining in on Sunday's Best and sharing your mitten pillow project with us.

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

so cute!!!

vikki said...

Oh my goodness, so cute, have to make!!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Even cuter than the originals! Wishing a very merry Christmas and the happiest of holiday seasons to you and yours!...hugs...Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...