12.09.2011

Creating Christmas - Driftwood Tree

 Creating Christmas at The Girl Creative I'm back with one last project for Creating Christmas with The Girl Creative.  Tomorrow is the link party, are you ready?

Today is Day 6, check out Day 1, Day 2Day 3, Day 4 and Day 5 if you need to catch up.

I think Creating Christmas should have started a month ago, I still have so many things that are pinned that I want to make!

Today I pulled out my bag of drift wood from Linwood beach on Lake Erie this past summer.  Over the years I've had lots of ideas of things to do with drift wood, but never had any when I had the idea... and of course never remembered what I wanted to do when I had access to unlimited drift wood, isn't that the way it always is?  But, one day in July, I grabbed a few buckets and had the kids fill them up with tons of it for me and it's been in my basement ever since with this in mind:
But that just wasn't going to happen for me today.  I still want to make this, but it's just going to have to wait.  I've also pinned this pretty piece:

So as I sat with my drift wood, a new idea brewed, and I'm soooooooooo thrilled with the results:
It was really pretty simple.  I covered a canvas board with wrapping paper, a pretty silver and white paper but it needed a punch of red.  Sharpie to the rescue:
  
from this
to this
The girls helped me lay out the drift wood and I glued it in place, making sure to put the glue on the lowest point, ie, where it would touch the canvas.  Once it dried I had to come up with a way to hang it.  It's kind of creative, but really only has to last until my mom and dad come to visit, they are the experts at hanging artwork!  Besides which, my mom is mesmerized by duct tape, so she'll get a kick out of this:
Soda tab, lots of hot glue and a few layers of duct tape... necessity is the mother of invention...

A close up of the final piece:
It is hung a little high, but the hook was already on the wall... and I think my colorful forest might still grow...


If you like what you see,
I’d love for you to follow me!
Peace be with you,
 

I'll be linking up to some of these parties, stop by and check out the talent!
M: Made by you Mondays, Made with Love Monday, Making the World Cuter, MMM @ CRAFT, Just something I whipped up, Organizing Mission Monday, Creative Me Monday, A Round Tuit, Motivate me Monday, Jam Hands, Must Try Monday T: Sew Cute Tuesday, Handmade Tuesdays, Tip Me Tuesday, TCB, Topsy Turvy Tuesdays, Take-a-Look Tuesdays, Too Cute Tuesdays, Giggles Glitz & Glam W: We Did it Wednesday, Night Owl Crafting, Sugar & Spice, Tea Rose Home, We’re Organized Wednesday, What I Wore Wednesday, What’s Up Wednesday, Wow Me Wednesday, Share the Wealth, Real Momma Real Style, Your Whims Wednseday, Whatever Goes T: Make It Wear It, Frogs & Snails, It’s Stinkin’ Cute, Making it with Allie, Things I’ve Done, Everybody’s Creative Endeavor F: Fun Friday Finds, Fingerprints on the Fridge, It’s a Hodgepodge, Chic on a Shoestring, Fantastic Friday, TGIF, I’m an Organizing Junkie, Spunky Junky, The Shabby Nest, While He Was Napping, Upcycled Awesome S/S: Get Schooled Saturday, KISS, Funky Fresh, Weekend Wrap Up, Nifty Thrifty, Creative Bloggers, Six Sisters

1 comment:

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

What a good idea! I love the pretty display you made too. Merry Christmas. I am a new follower visiting from Project Queen. Vicky from Mess For Less

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...