9.30.2011

Trying Something New, Learning From Mistakes & Why I'll Stick to What I Know for a While

***Warning, this is a long post, but it would mean a lot to me for you to read all the way to the end!***

I've been ignoring my blog lately, the days have just gotten away from me.  One thing I have learned since I started blogging is craft blogger mommies always put their family first, which is basically what needed to be done lately.

But, I have been trying to get some crafting done!  A while back, I decided to try something new (to me)... Quilting.  I joined in the Retro Inspired Pillow Challenge over at Ricochet and Away and Sew La Vie.  The guidelines were fairly simple, a 20x20 inch pillow quilted with retro inspiration (fabrics, patterns, etc).  Per my nature, I procrastinated in the beginning, finding ideas and concepts and adding them to Pinterest.  Then I attempted a few different things, but they all flopped (sorry, no pics!).

Finally, as time was running out and I was getting ready to head out of town, I decided to go simple.  My true inspiration, I don't have a picture of, was the quilt my mom made out of scraps and worn clothes for her college dorm room in the 70s.  I don't know what ever happened to it, but it was one I always liked.  This kinda reminded me of it:
Source: etsy.com via Emily on Pinterest

So, I cobbled together pieces of retro-ish fabric, some new fabric, some from funky shirts I'd picked up that coordinated with my living room, and even some from old sheets, but all from my stash (still stashbusting!).  But there was something still not working with it.  I set it aside and decided I just wasn't meant to quilt, and headed out to Salt Lake City for my cousin's wedding.  While there, I got to spend an afternoon wandering around Gardner's Village all by myself!  I may not be a quilter, but that doesn't mean I don't love the beauty of them.  Seriously, here are a few I loved:
Not only is the Village Quilt Shop amazing with its beautiful finished quilts in a rainbow of color, but a wonderful fabric shop, Pine Needles, that was fabric heaven!  One of the things I noticed on several of the quilts and patterns was the simplicity of rows of straight quilting.

Back at home, I decided to give it one last attempt. Rows and rows of red stitches later, I'm actually pleased with the results:
It matches my living room and has a funky vibe, so I'm happy.  My machine is jammed and I don't have the patience left to deal with that now, so it is pinned closed.  Want to see how everyone else's turned out?
!-- start InLinkz script -->
Be sure to hop on over here and vote, you can vote once a day from October 1 to October 31st for your favorite.

I have learned, I was not meant to be a quilter, I just don't have the patience.  It doesn't mean I won't try again sometime in the future, it just means I'm not going to beat myself up trying to quilt.  For now, I'm going to stick to what I know, clothes!  I love to make clothes, especially upcycled clothes.  Watch out for some new things to be added in the next few weeks.

When I started my etsy shop I knew I wanted to donate a portion of my proceeds to an organization, but could never settle on one I truly felt passionate about.  Then last month something big happened in my family. 
This precious sweetie, my wonderful nephew "Tatertot," was diagnosed with Kossman's Syndrome, or severe congenital neutropenia, causing his body not to be able to fight bacteria to save his life (literally).  Treatment has started:
Wait, that's not it!  No, seriously, he will have to have a shot daily for the rest of his life or until a cure is found.  Since only two in a million people have this disease, research and treatment is still in it's infancy.  Sister Baby has started a fundraising effort, The Long Race 4 Tate to benefit the Ella Jewell Foundation.  Not only will I be supporting The Long Race 4 Tate, but a portion of all my etsy sales will be donated to finding a cure.

The Ella Jewell Foundation has a Wine Tasting Event on October 21st, 2011.  I won't be able to attend but this weekend I'll be working on what I know, clothes, and in that, something to donate to the accompanying silent auction.

Peace be with you,
 

I'll be linking up to some of these parties, stop by and check out the talent!

3 comments:

Keren Duchan said...

Emily, good going on finishing the pillow! I love your inspiration from the past. Sorry to hear about your sewing machine troubles, though! We're glad to have you in the challenge and in the voting stage!

Ricochet said...

Yay! Great work! I'm so pleased to add your entry to the voting page.

Tanya Anurag said...

Sorry to hear about your nephew. Wish him the strength to beat the disease!

I just voted for you.. you did a great job and by no means does your product looks like a first timer's.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...